According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Monday, November 27, 2006

Why am I such a snot?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

News flash: I have a cold. However, I feel my condition can better be described as a violent warring power struggle inside my nose in which tiny evil organisms are battling against the native organisms of my nasal cavity causing such casualties as explosions, floods, land slides, and general unrest therein. Hey, at least I'm not coughing (fingers crossed).

In between blows, I decided to ask the all knowing internet where this never ending supply of matter is coming from that I keep directing with force into tissues and tossing in my waste basket. This is what I found via WebMD:

"Mucus (a.k.a. snot) is the sticky liquid that coats the skin and hairs in your nose. It has a special bacteria-killing chemical, and it also keeps junk from reaching your lungs, explains Branzei. "Snot is so important that your nose makes a new batch every 20 minutes."
Boogers are actually "nose garbage," she writes. "Each day, you suck in a small roomful of air. If the air was only gas, you would not even make boogers. But the air is filled with dust, smoke, grit, bacteria, tiny fungi, pollen, soot, little metal pieces, ash, fuzz, sand, and even itty bitty meteorites. One job of the nose is to clean the stuff out."
This nose-cleaning system is so effective that the nasal area is one of the cleanest parts of your body, Branzei adds. However, allergies and pollutants will trigger inflammation in the sinus lining, which creates sinus drainage, Horesh explains. "For some people, that means a runny nose, for other people, it's post-nasal drip."