According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Hey

For some reason, I'm in a great mood today, so I'm gonna take back all that crap I said before about invitations to my party: EVERYONE'S INVITED! Come one, come all to Brooklyn this Saturday for great company, great drinks, and don't forget your mistletoe-on-a-stick hat! See ya there!

















Ok, back to random babbling....


Since I am in a good mood today, I have been laughing at just about everything since I woke up. I'm currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers. I got this book because a very good friend recommended it, and it turns out he was correct in assuming that I would like it. I like Eggers' humor, though sometimes his stream-of-consciousness style is slightly difficult to follow (especially if you are reading, like me, in short spurts during transit mostly). He has a way of writing which resembles the way most of us think: interjecting absurd thoughts sparked by not so absurd thoughts, and trailing off into hilarity, fantasy, and often paranoia. AHWOSG is based on the author's true life story, which is fascinating, if only for the simple fact that he was able to coherently construct an entertaining novel after a series of tragic life experiences. Anyway, if you're looking for a book, and you like noon-boring true stories that display subtle, dry humor, pick it up. Its good- 'ts goooooood!

More randomness....

There are some strange, perhaps disturbing observations I have made about myself and my habits recently. Because I am somewhat strange and disturbing in a general manner of speaking, I'm going to list them here for all the world to see. I don't know why, but I also don't know why not:

1. I am an honest to goodness germ-a-phobe. If I touch a public railing or similar object that is touched by the grimey masses, or shake anyone's hand (and I only do so out of complete necessity) I am aware of an invisible germ coating on my hands which will exist in my mind and control my thoughts until I am able to scrub my hands thoroughly under hot water. I also swipe under my nails to get any sneaky germs which may go there to hide from my soap lather.

2. I always have to get in and out of my bed on the right side. I am so disturbed by this one that I have actually tried to break myself of this habit- forcing myself to get into bed on the left side from time to time, but each time this occurs, I am irked and bothered, and its just not worth the headache.

3. Whenever I drink coffee, I do so out of a straw, bypassing my front teeth so as to minimize stains. Also to this end, I swish out my mouth with water after every few sips of coffee. EVERY TIME I drink coffee I do this.

4. Every time I throw any piece of paper away, I rip it first in half, then I double it and rip the halves in half. All paper in my waste basket is ripped this way.

5. Every time I notice a certain specific time on any digital clock (I will not tell you which time this is, however) I make an angry face at the clock. I started this a long time ago, for a specific reason, which is currently irrelevant, but yet it is now one of my compulsive neurotic habits , and so I continue to do the meaningless frown EVERY TIME I see this exact hour and minute on the clock. If for some reason I cannot make the frown face (like if I'm being watched by someone who I am concerned would find me crazy) I frown in my head to myself.

6. Every time I see a penny on the ground, I DO NOT PICK IT UP, because that is dirty (see above germ phobia) but I acknowledge the penny so as to glean some of the luck which may have been bestowed upon me if I had picked it up. You know, the old "see a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck", well since I am prohibited from picking up dirty things, I do the next best thing, and I make a mental acknowledgment of the penny. EVERY TIME.

7. Whenever I blow my nose (which I love to do by the way, and for reasons unbeknownst to me) I fold the tissue in half before I blow. If I have gotten the tissue from one of those pocket packs for which it has already been folded, I specifically UNFOLD the tissue, then refold it my specific preferred way. I must do it this way or the blowing goes all wrong.

There are a ton more of these weirdo quirks I have, and perhaps I will recount them as they occur to me. Until then, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!