According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Monday, December 11, 2006

Great Story


Recently, I attended a Toys For Tots dinner in Brooklyn where I needed to bring a toy to donate. So, I went shopping, picked up my favorites from childhood: a Barbie, a My Little Pony, and an Etch-a-Sketch. Well, I successfully donated the Barbie and Pony, but I just had to keep the Etch-a-Sketch, because that thing is just sooo addicting!
Anyway, on Saturday, I went out shopping and I had the Etch-a-Sketch in my bag to play with on the train. On the way back to Brooklyn, I whipped it out and started playing with it to kill time. Most people bring a little something to keep themselves occupied while in transit, right? Almost everyone has an ipod, book, newspaper, videogame, something! I did not think it was the least bit odd to bring my fun red toy for such an occasion. So, I'm playing on the crowded train, hardly noticing people's stares, and definately not acknowledging them. What, you've never seen a grown woman, play with toys before? Wait, don't answer that! The Chinese lady sitting next to me leans in and politely asks me what it is that Im playing with. "Is that a game?", she asks. I gave her a brief description of my toy's intended purpose, and carried on. THEN the girl next to her starts laughing and chimes in about how she used to love her Etch-a-Sketch when she was a kid. I smile, a little annoyed, and go back to my very important sketching.
About 10 minutes later, the same Chinese lady, who has kept her eyes on my drawing this whole time, leans in once again and says joyfully, in a perfect Chinese accent "You ahh veddy skeeeeled!" Translation for numb skulls: "You are very skilled." I could hardly contain my amusement with this comment, but somehow I stifled my laugheter and managed a polite smile and a "thank you" for the compliment. And as any humble artist would respond, I added "well, I havn't played with it in a long time. I'm probably a little rusty."
That's right, ladies and gentlemen, you are reading the blog of an Etch-a-sketch master! (takes bow at her desk)!!

I tried to take a phone pic of my drawing, but the glare from the plastic screen mucked up that idea. I'll see if I can take a picture with the flash off on my digital camera, so I can share my work with the world. Really, it would be an injustice to keep my skeeells to myself.