According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Monday, June 30, 2008

My Summer on Tour with Pearl Jam

Home sweet home?
Well, it’s been quite an intense 3 weeks, to say the very least. This is my first day back post-tour and, to be completely honest, it feels like I just woke up from a dream. You know those dreams that are so vivid they feel real? Complete with familiar characters, smells, and sounds that that captivate your sleepy senses and blur the lines between fantasy and reality? Well that’s where I am. I opened my eyes in Brooklyn this morning and for a fraction of a second I didn’t know where I was. I looked at the floor next to my bed and saw my packed duffle bag from the road trips, and across from that I saw a mostly un-packed suitcase bearing a BNA (Nashville Airport) sticker. On the dresser, sits a pile of wrinkled concert tickets, wilted and blurred from sweat and over-priced beer. One more quick glance around and I realize that for the first time in 3 weeks, I’m alone. Yeah, I’m home alright.

My journey started with a flight to Nashville. It actually seems like ages ago. I boarded a plane in Newark with a concert buddy on a Wednesday night, and left Nashville 6 days later with a great friend, whose company I’d begin to miss as soon as her blue backpack/ chair left my line of vision through the security line. I remember matching red sleeping bags, a hot monk, a group of silly girls from Dartmouth, a white Rav 4 that became the center of our existence, great music, glow sticks during MGMT, rain during My Morning Jacket, sweat, mud, falafel, Adele looking beautiful with no makeup, more amazing music and oh yeah, Pearl Jam. By the time Pearl Jam played on Saturday night it was like icing on the cake. I was in love with Manchester Tennessee, with my camping companion, with our perma-high neighbors, and with the throngs of crazy hippies that surrounded us. This experience would go in my record book as one of the best times I’ve ever had! Aaahh, and this was just the beginning! Could life possibly get better? I would soon find out…

After Bonnaroo began a rapid fire series of reunions, tour romance, sleepless nights, and road trips. The laid-back mind set of the South was miles away and it was business time! The first 2 stops were Thurs/ Fri in Camden, NJ. These two shows (especially Camden II) jump-started me into full on Pearl Jam tour mode. I leaped and screamed with every lyric delivered until my voice was no more, I fist pumped to every guitar riff, and played the most furious air drums my limbs were capable of. I sweated clear through my clothing, bruised my thighs from banging against the seats in front of me, and lost roughly 6 pounds. Highlights: Grievance, Light Years, and Low Light, Brain of J, Footsteps, Once. I needed to remind myself to breathe. My ride kept us alert and on track with ruminations on lightening and video games. You’re cute when you talk about robots and the end of the world!

Next, I high tailed it back to NYC for a very emotional 1-off at Radio City: The Cure. Without going into too much detail, The Cure is a band that carries a lot of memories for me. The good, the bad, the heart-breaking and the nostalgic- The Cure brings it all out in me. We scored free 12th row tickets, and thanks to a relative who does sound for the venue, got a private tour of the Roxy Suite, complete with complimentary wine…right, just what I needed before an emotional show! The show began and Robert Smith proved to be a strange, yet professional rock star. The entire experience was incredible. The lights, the sound, the background images projected on screen, the beauty of Radio City….all of it was breath-taking. So much so for me, that I had a bit of a break-down when they played Lovesong followed by A Letter to Elise. Christ on crackers, Robert! You’re killing me! I sobbed like a baby, gasped for air, sent a text message I thought I might later regret, then sobbed some more. I was eventually able to gain my composure and appreciate the sentiment that The Cure evokes from me. It proves that I’m still alive (wait, that’s a Pearl Jam lyric) and I actually felt good about that text message after all. Sort of a proverbial olive branch. Anyway, I had more Pearl Jam coming up, and some great tour buddies in town to meet for drinks. I’d end that night at a bed and breakfast in Harlem in borrowed sweat pants…best coffee I’ve ever tasted. :)

Next up on the continued PJ tour was a marathon Sunday trip to DC. 4 hours there and 4 hours back to NYC- we had to work in the morning. Highlights: Hail Hail, I God Id, I am Mine, You Are, Sad. Sometimes the best way for me to shed light on confusing times that are going on in my life is to pay attention to how the set lists unfold, and actually listen to the lyrics as they pertain to me. This set list in particular gave me some insight into my own psyche. Oy! I’m such a sap sometimes. Big ups to my driver once again for getting us back safely. Did I mention how cute you are when you talk about robots?

Back to NYC for two shows at Madison Square Garden. It should have been easier to have the home court advantage, but sitting at my desk just 11 blocks from the venue on the day of the show drove me absolutely batty! I tried to pick up my tickets from will call on my lunch break, and encountered tons of friends and familiar faces, making it even harder for me to come back and finish out the day. There is something truly magical about The Garden. Even if the set list isn’t the most original or surprising, there is an energy present that is not felt in other venues. Not to mention the fact that the entire building literally vibrates during moments of high intensity. When they played Spin the Black Circle night 1, I’m pretty sure I was elevated for a full 10-15 seconds, and the jam session during Rearview Mirror on night 2 brought me to another dimension entirely. I got a bit overwhelmed by the Release opener. My first show ever, back on 8-18-98 opened with Release, and I’ve always had a soft spot for a show that opens that way- especially this year after having lost my grandpa, I dunno, the lyrics just grabbed my heart in a new way…I can’t explain it. The night refused to end as we headed to the after party at BB King’s where Ten, a ridiculously impressive Pearl Jam tribute band played till the wee hours of the morning. On the way back to the car we walked through the set of a movie called All Good Things, starring Ryan Gosling, passed a couple of guys who threw French fries during a heated argument, and witnessed rats literally invading the city. Is this what happens every Wednesday night after I go to bed? As the sun began to rise, I didn’t want to get out of the car. I was miraculously not tired.

I had a 1-day hiatus without a show to attend and I passed out from exhaustion after work at 8pm. I have officially lost all concept of space and time. Last leg: New England road trip beginning Friday night. The hours leading up to the Hartford show were pretty grueling. It seemed like everything was confusing and everyone was irritable. We (most of us anyway) made it there eventually, and after fighting a never ending fan club ticket line, the show began. What a show! My seat was front and center for a set list that would pull out all sorts of gems: Breakerfall, God’s Dice, Not for You, Fuckin’ Up…and when Ed sang Smile I swear to God, he looked directly into my eyes and gave me a thumbs up! “Three crooked hearts, swirls all around. I miss you already!” And holy shit, that Comatose- Leash- Blood string was the hardest I’ve ever rocked at a concert- EVER! For serious.

After the show, Jed and I caught a ride to MA with Boston (Maynard) Bobby, and I totally passed out in the car. As we had become accustomed, we went to sleep as the sun rose with our ears ringing, and our throats raw. The next afternoon, we’d drive to Mansfield, check into the Red Roof Inn (next time I refuse to book the hotel if you’re all gonna complain!) and took it upon myself to skim the pool so that all the touring fans at the hotel could enjoy a bug-free swim and a few beers before heading to the venue to tailgate Boston style. Y’all sure do know how to tailgate! Everyone had coolers, chairs, grills, tents, and loads of stuff that I personally would be too amped up to deal with under the circumstances. My last show of the tour proved to be a teaser. Apparently they sound-checked (but did not actually play) Satan’s Bed, which I have been screaming for since Camden, and ended early due to a strictly enforced curfew in Mansfield, and a reported spat between Ed and Stone- which I did not notice despite the fact that my seats were closer than they had been all tour. I got weepy during Black, as usual, but following that with the "We belong together" tag, and then Betterman, actually broke my heart. Again, I sobbed, buried my face in my hands and generally freaked Jed out as my shoulders shook with emotion. How does he do it to me every single time? They ended with Alive, which made us all feel like something was left unfinished, but I did catch 2 of Mike’s guitar picks, and like I’ve said before, there’s no such thing as a bad Pearl Jam show. I’m also super bummed to have missed Ed’s pre-show performance of Throw Your Arms around me. For once I was actually at the venue early, but alas, I was caught up in the tailgate, and swapped the pre-set for Coors Light and a burger.

Though Pearl Jam still has 2 more shows scheduled- one more tonight in Mansfield, and a benefit show at The Beacon Theater in New York tomorrow, my tour ends here. To all my friends who I saw at every stop along the way, I truly do miss you already. Thank you for the rides, the beers, the tickets, the companionship, and the memories. You all know where to find me. For you, my door is always open.

XOXOX
Talia

Labels: , ,