According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, May 23, 2008

Day Off!

I used to envy people who worked 4-day weeks, and had Fridays off. "Oh, what I could get done if only I had an extra day to my weekend!", I would tell myself. This week, I was given the opportunity to give it a try, and I'm ashamed to say, that I cannot handle it.

First of all, we all know how addicted to the gym I have become. Its gotten to the point that I feel not only guilty but depressed if I don't work out at least 4 or 5 times a week. Well, if you're working 10-hour days, fitting in an adequate workout is doable, yet difficult. First I tried going in the morning. I have taught myself in the past month to get up at 6am to go to the gym, but I had no idea that working late the same day would make me so miserable. It did. Ok, I'll just come in SUPER early, and go after work. (PS, that ends up getting me out of bed at the same time in the morning, so no real difference). I tried it. It sucked. Yesterday, I skipped the gym altogether, and felt miserable having done so.

Friday! Oh Friday! I'll do everything on Friday! Pssshhhh. I DID get up early this morning, eat cereal on the couch, and watch the episodes of LOST and SNL from last week that I had missed due to other things going on. All throughout LOST and halfway throughout SNL I had every intention of getting up as soon as they were over, cleaning the apartment, going to the gym, trying out that new vacuum cleaner I got recently.....and then the time came to get off the couch and I found that I had, at some point unknown to me, become attached to the cushions. Not literally, of course, but I had succumbed to laziness. Even though I can tell it is a beautiful day outside, the fatigue I've accumulated throughout the week- pushing myself to the limit to fit in all my workouts and get in 40 hours in 4 days, has crippled me.

This fact concerns me greatly. There are loads of things that I actually want to be doing. I have deadlines looming, things that I need to research and write, a podcast to prepare for (details to follow), and yet here I am, eyes glued to TLC- to shows that I don't even like that much! Seriously, What Not to Wear is not a good show, and yet I'm watching these fake fools play dress up with a schmuck from LA who claims to wear scrubs on dates. Really? REALLY?

The conversations that I'm having with myself today, half in my head and half aloud, are just as disturbing.
"Ok, next commercial break, I'll pee, then fill up my water glass...I don't drink as much water when I'm not at work. It's funny cuz I always pee at work around 11:00...." "Do I want peanut butter and jelly or turkey for lunch? I should have turkey. Peanut butter doesn't go bad. After Little People Big World, I'm going to make a turkey sandwich. I wonder if the short brother would be as cute as the tall brother if he wasn't a little person. That's terrible! I am the reason why those people suffer so much. I hate myself. I should have two sandwiches."

Yeah, I suck. A day off and I've nearly blown it. I think the only thing that could salvage this day is to go back to bed, sleep a bit more, then wake up
again and start fresh. DON'T JUDGE ME!

Labels: