According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Thursday, March 08, 2007

PJ on Idol

I am not sure who, among you, will admit to actually watching American Idol, but I have no more pride left, and I certainly know an entertaining show when I see one. The "entertaining" part isn't the singing, however. For me its usually fun just to watch the contestants humiliate themselves and get torn apart by the judges. So this week, I missed most of the episode where the male contestants performed, and I only caught the end-of-show recap where they play a few seconds of each guy's song. Well, to my complete surprise, I noticed that one of the contestants by the name of Sundance Head sang Jeremy, by Pearl Jam!


First thing's first: Lets talk about the man's name for a moment, shall we? "Sundance Head." There are so many fun possibilities with a last name like Head. For instance, I'll go ahead and state the obvious choice: Richard Head (Dick Head for short). There's also some absurd, but funny, options such as Dootie Head, Shit Head, Air Head. The creativity comes in when you can call a kid something relatively normal, but spin it into a nickname that, when combined with Head, incites giggles. I'll let you use your imaginations here....this is not the crux of my post today anyway....


Next, let us please address the fact that this man, this amateur, has chosen to sing a song by THE BAND which I consider the best band in history. I have to admit that I give the guy a smidgen of credit for at least having good taste in music, having chosen a Pearl Jam song. I then give the man another, slightly larger, smidgen of credit for having the balls to attempt to sing, in front of America, a song which is only appropriate when performed by Eddie Vedder- the man with the most beautiful voice in the world. Now, let me get to the criticism: WTF!? Jeremy is not a country rock song. Jeremy is NOT ALLOWED to be publicly performed by anyone other than Ed, Stone, Jeff, Mike, and Matt (does Boom have a part?) There is, of course, a carve out for people that 1. Have Ed's explicit blessing, and are, perhaps, singing it with him on stage at a Pearl Jam show, OR 2. Are singing karaoke in a PRIVATE room or dwelling among close friends. I, myself, sing Pearl Jam all the time at karaoke, and I encourage my friends to do the same. (At this point, I do not choose to address the cover/tribute band situation, which I feel can be acceptable if the singer is really good- I know a few, and they are exempt from my tirade).


So this Sundance fella does a terrible rendition of Jeremy, butchers lyrics (You cannot take the F-bomb out, it makes no sense), and basically makes himself look like a dirty pirate hooker on stage in front of millions. I now hate his guts. Sorry dude, don't test me when it comes to PJ!


I do not wish to comment on the Judges' reaction to Dootie Head's performance. Their opinions mean nothing to me.


Because I feel badly for now ripping Mr. Head a new a-hole on my blog, I'll give him another tiny props by publishing a link to his performance. Everyone is, after all, entitled to their own opinion. See for yourself what you think.....WARNING, your ears may shrivel up and fall off, so don't say I didn't warn you!


LONG LIVE PEARL JAM!