According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cauliflower, string beans and....WHAT?



This just goes to show, you cannot take life too seriously! Yesterday, after I left work, I stopped at this little market that I pass on the way to the subway every day. All of the employees, and presumably the owners, are of Asian descent. They have great produce, and it's cheap, so I stop there from time to time. Yesterday, as I was browsing the veggie aisle, I noticed this sign, and nearly pissed myself with glee at the fact that I was lucky enough to have a camera phone handy to capture this glorious moment in time!

Do you get it? "Broccori" is supposed to be the Asian-accent phonetic spelling of "Broccoli"! Its too phenomenal for words if you ask me! I always think its funny when the menus for Chinese food restaurants either fail to use, or misuse the plural tenses of words such as:

"Fried rice with shrimps", or "Chicken with Chinese noodle"

But THIS is beyond funny- THIS brings an unprecedented accuracy to The Christmas Story ("Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra!").

An equally interesting observation: When I sent this photo to my mom this morning, her rather brilliant reply was: "I love it! But by the way, that's LETTUCE (Rettuce) isn't it? Not Broccori?"

She's right, that is rettuce you are looking at there, but in front of the rettuce is the broccori!