According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, February 16, 2007

The Apples in Stereo at The Bowery



(I took all the featured photos myself!)










Last night I had the pleasure of seeing The Apples in Stereo play at The Bowery Ballroom in Manhattan! The Bowery recently (February 10th to be exactl) received the 2007 Plug Independent Music Award for Live Venue of the Year.

As an aside: Here are the other top venues in the country named by Plug for 2007
Live Music Venue Of The Year:
Bowery Ballroom, New York, NY
, Cake Shop, New York, NY, Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, OR, Empty Bottle, Chicago, IL, Emo's, Austin, TX, Joe's Pub, New York, NY, McCarren Pool, Brooklyn, NY, Mercury Lounge, New York, NY, Schubas Tavern, Chicago, IL, The Echo, Los Angeles, CA, Troubadour, Los Angeles, CA, Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY


Opening for the Apples in Stereo last night were Casper and the Cookies, from Athens, GA. They were an ok band, but the most entertaining parts of their performance were the flamboyant dance moves by bass player, Jim, who bore a striking similarity to Chris Farley's character, "Barney", on the episode of SNL where he tried out for Chippendale's with Patrick Swayze. Oh, and the glittery faux eyelashes worn by the lead singer were a bit distracting, but you could tell the band was having a good time, and that generally makes for a decent show overall.














The Apples played a nice mix of old and new songs, performing, Same Old Drag, Energy, Can You Feel It, and Sun is Out, from their latest album, The New Magnetic Wonder, and also gracing us with an even newer, as yet unrecorded song, the title of which I don't believe we were told, but it, too, was great! The show was fantastic! The energy was high, as you would expect from such a jumpy, head bobbing, Wah-Ohhhh, kind of band! Lead singer, Robert Schneider, who I OF COURSE, have a crush on, was super cute, sipping hot tea between songs, and dancing around in his red sneakers. Before they went on, he mingled around with concert goers in the crowd, and even accidentally punched me in the stomach as I walked behind him, while he was trying to put his arm around someone for a photo op!

I loved the show, I had a great time, I bought merch, I danced, I sang, and I came home with the tunes in my head! The Apples are currently on tour, and I would highly recommend checking them out when they hit your town. Oh, and don't worry if you can't make it for the opening band, you're not missing all that much!