According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Monday, October 02, 2006

Give the dog a bone. DONE.

Last night I was at a friend's house playing with the two cutest little tikes I've seen in ages, when my friend asks me if I've heard about the big IKEA catalog scandal. I told her that I had not, and she showed me said 2007 catalog, published in August 2006, which, it is rumored, depicts a photo on the inside cover of a family and a dog with a human penis! I saw this picture up close and in person, and I still have no idea what to make of it. Its NOT his tail, and if it is really his foot, as IKEA claims, its a rather odd looking foot, indeed! See for yourself and tell me what you think? Foot or phalis?

Click on photo to enlarge

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What is it with the folklore about hidden penises and sexual imagery hidden in innocent media? Remember in the 1990s when there was some sort of sex scandal surrounding every Disney movie of the time? It was the dust on the ledge during The Lion King, which supposedly spelled out the word "sex", the part in Aladdin where Al supposedly says "Good teenagers, take off your clothes", and the ever popular penis head castle on the cover of the Little Mermaid. If someone with a silly sense of humor actually managed to sneak such references past hundreds of people in positions of authority who are supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening, then kudos to them! Thats actually really funny. Shame on the people who totally missed it and now have to face the consequences (if there really are any).

Conversely, is America just so obsessed with sex that we LOOK for such references and imagery where they don't actually exist? That we are so eager to see the penis in the dog that our eyes trick us into believing that it's actually there? I'll let you ponder that for now, because frankly, I have had far too little sleep this weekend to continue being so philosophical.