According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Random Ramblings

Some of my thoughts for the day.....


PRIORITIES, PEOPLE!
I ran to the drug store yesterday to get my co-worker some Aleve and was unnerved by the grooming habits of the woman running the cash register. She looked fairly normal at first glance; appeared to take care of herself to a certain extent. Then I noticed that she had fake tips on her nails with a French manicure. Im pretty low maintenance, and have never been the manicure type myself, but to each his own, except this lady had her priorities ass backwards! Despite having impeccable nail presentation, she had NO FRONT TEETH! Im not sure what manicures run these days but I have to think that if you forego the extravagant hand grooming for a whole year, you would at least have a down payment on some teeth. Especially in the retail business, I would wager that a friendly, non-offensive smile, trumps a French manicure, but thats just me.....and what do I know?

As an aside: Do you find that you, like me, make a scrunched up, tooth-exposing bunny-like face, when you have an encounter with someone that doesn't have teeth? Its like you're feeling your own teeth with your lips just to make sure they are still there and imagining what it would feel like if they were not......just me? oh, ok....

SOCIAL SUICIDE
I'm about to discredit myself entirely as a critic of music in the eyes of many, but there's something that I just need to get off my chest, so Im going take a deep breath (Aaahhhhh-wooooooo) and just say it....are you ready?.....ok:
I LIKE MARIAH CAREY'S MUSIC!!
There, I said it! And ya know what, It feels damn good! Go ahead, draw a mustache and devil horns on your personal photo of me (I know you all have them)....throw baloney at me, spit on me, call me a glitter loving, self depreciating, teeny bopper wannabe with no taste in music and an unidentified medical condition which deteriorates all five senses, and turns the brain into mush! Jeeze, you guys are harsh! All I can say is that I can relate to her woman-empowering ballads, and the simplicity of it all, puts me at ease occasionally, and the beats can be downright catchy. Well, I guess this will be the very last time you view my blog, so take care, have a wonderful life, don't forget to floss, and NO I will not sign an autograph for you when Oprah asks me to take over her show!

THE BIZARRO BROOKLYN "R" PHENOMENON
I think I've probably already hinted at my feelings toward my tolerance of any accent which in any way strays from my perception of American English. I've said many times, that most national television journalists (Barbara Wawa excluded) speak with a proper American dialect, which does not reflect any sort of regional variation. Hence it irks me to a powerful degree when the people of this fine Borough of Brooklyn misplace the letter "R" in their speech. A few words to my beloved Brooklyn neighbors:
1. There is no such thing as a silent "R"! No I can't "He-ah" you, I HEAR you. The "R" was put there for a reason, please acknowledge it!!
2. There is no such thing as a phantom "R". If there is no "R" in the spelling of a word, then there really is no "R"! Its not like Brooklynites are secretly and exclusively privy to an ancient code which reveals hidden "Rs" in the English language. I do not work in a "Lawr office". I do, in fact, work in LAW OFFICE. We do not eat "peet-zer" for lunch, but rather PIZZA. I'm not going to hold it against you all just yet, but now that I've pointed out the error of your ways, I do expect you to correct this problem.