According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bob Lefsetz's Review of Pearl Jam at VH1 Rock Honors

Bob Lefsetz is a pretty well respected music critic (I guess) who has, on occasion, posted not-so-flattering words about Pearl Jam on his blog. With regard to Pearl Jam, he's been known to make the same generic "They're still around?" jokes which has obviously left me with a somewhat biased ill will toward his opinons in general. Anyway, when I saw that he had reviewed the 2008 VH1 Rock Honors performances, I was worried that I'd have more reasons to doubt the foundation on which he bases his musical expertise. I was, however, shocked that after ragging on everyone including Roger Daltry, Lefsetz gave Pearl Jam a glowing review! It seemed that against all odds, he actually put his snotty aires behind him, REALLY paid attention to the performance and GOT IT! Like, seriously, he seems to have totally tapped into the reality thet I have been trying to get across to the masses.

All I can say to Mr. Lefsetz is: Duh. Took you long enough! Don't YOU feel like a heel?

Read the PJ related excerpt of Lefsetz's review below:

"...Actually, Pearl Jam was on first, before Adam. And there’s something that bugs me about Eddie Vedder. He takes himself too seriously and I would like a little sweetness in his voice.
Speaking of serious, they opened with a seemingly endless take of "Love Reign O’er Me". Great track, but the evening demanded more energy.
Then they tore into "The Real Me". It was a REVELATION! I’m tingling just WRITING ABOUT IT!


Rock and roll is something that can’t be quantified, sometimes it’s not even something you hear, but FEEL!

Pearl Jam looked like they just came from lunch, wearing their everyday clothes, like a band from the seventies. The drum hit, the guitar slashed and the bass started DANCING at the bottom. Shit, THIS IS THE EXACT SAME ENERGY THAT OPENS QUADROPHENIA! You know, after the overture, "Real Me" EXPLODES out of the speakers.
Shit, I’m watching the video now. Pearl Jam’s drummer and bassist should have played with Roger and Pete, not the impostors they’re employing. Moon played with a manic energy. He wasn’t thinking, but purely running on instinct. Hitting everything in his path. But somehow, it all sounded right. The pure volume of sound, the cacophony, it was MESMERIZING!
And speaking of mesmerizing… Jeff Ament is positively channeling John Entwistle. His fingers are dancing all over his bass. He’s moving just a bit more than the Ox, but he’s still in his own world, not just pinning down the bottom, but creating a WHOLE WORLD down there!
As for Mike McCready, he’s doing a modern day Townshend. So possessed by the music that it’s taken over his whole body, he’s jumping, he’s splitting. You know how you dance around your bedroom? When no one’s watching, when you feel the music completely? THAT’S MIKE! But he’s getting every sound exactly right.


I went back to the doctorTo get another shrinkI sit and tell him about my weekendBut he never betrays what he thinks

That’s what my first shrink told my parents. That all I wanted to do was stay home and listen to records. But at least I wanted to do SOMETHING!
Can you see the real me?


The real me is someone who’s never sold out, who’s followed the music, to here. Been a rough ride, but I had no other choice.

A real musician has no other choice. The stardom is secondary, as is the bread. You do it because you have to. You only feel good when you’re playing. It’s what your life is about. And when you get to do your act, the audience can feel it, your dedication, your PASSION!

Pearl Jam is not really playing for the audience, they’re playing for THEMSELVES! Your goal is to get closer, you want some of what they’ve got, that energy, that FEELING!
Now I know why Pearl Jam sells out arenas long after their last "hit". People who go know. That they can only get this feeling at their show. Sure, there are some other acts that deliver. But very few. And most of them are old, from an era when music still mattered, they’re running on fumes.


But Pearl Jam is not running on fumes. Watching this, you’d think they’re the most vital band in the land. You’d believe there’s still hope for rock and roll."

Labels: , , ,