According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, July 18, 2008

Last night I tuned in to watch the 2008 VH1 Rock Honors Tribute to The Who from my couch at home. From the very beginning, during the montage of various celebrities talking candidly about The Who, I found that every time Eddie Vedder appeared on screen, I would inadvertently yelp! That's not normal! Its like I've never seen the man appear on TV before!

First let me interject and say that ALL of last night's performances were great! Foo Fighters rocked the stage, Incubus impressed me, and when Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips crowd surfed in a giant bubble, I knew the Lips were gonna mystify me- and they did. Luckily The Who has created an incredible body of work for great musicians to play!

Ok, so when Sean Penn came out to introduce Pearl Jam, I felt myself become extremely anxious and jittery. So much, that I had to get up from the couch and kneel in front of the TV! Then, just before they came out, I felt like a nervous parent waiting for their 3-year-old to step onto stage in a ballet recital- overprotective and overwhelmed with love and pride. I felt totally exposed like I was showing the TV audience a part of me that I normally reserve for friends and family. The world was going to see MY Pearl Jam perform and what were they going to say???

As the keyboardist (NOT Boom!) began "Love Reign O'er Me", my emotions reached a peak and tears ran down my face. Ed started to sing, the band started to play, and I experienced a pride that was unmistakable! They were amazing! They were on top of their game! They had the energy and polish of a band that has been playing together their entire lives. They were professionals, and they were everything I knew they could be. I'm SURE Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend were proud! Pearl Jam followed with "The Real Me" which they executed just as beautifully as the first song. Mike shook his little booty and hammed it up as only Mike knows how! Stone looked like he was truly enjoying himself, and Jeff and Matt played their hearts out. Mike even finished like a rock star by smashing his guitar on stage! The performance left me satisfied that the world had seen the best of Pearl Jam's abilities, and I felt even more justified in my undying love for a band that means more to me than any band should ever mean to any random music fan in the world.

The Who's performance was inspiring too, of course. After all these years Roger and Pete still have all the stamina and talent that they had when they were young! When Pearl Jam reaches the point in their career that they start to be honored in this way (and I have every confidence that they will), I'll be old as hell, but you better believe I'll be in that audience, sharing just a small piece of the glory!

Watch Pearl Jam's performance of "The Real Me" below, and check VH1.com for more video's of last night's Rock Honors.





Labels: , ,