According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, May 04, 2007

Yeah, I guess I'm a little crazy....

Last night, as part of TFF, I saw a documentary film called Doubletime, directed by Stephanie Johnes, about a national jump rope competition at the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem. Let me just say that I have a new found appreciation for competitive jump roping! Seriously, these kids, from all over the world, were tremendously devoted to the sport, to each other, and to their skill. The performances were impressive, the music was awesome, the energy level was intense.....the experience was incredible overall! Competing against several teams from across the United States were several teams from Japan who flew all the way to NY to dominate the competition. I won't ruin the surprise of who took 1st place in the advanced category, but I'll just tell you that those Japanese kids kicked ass. I totally wanna be Japanese when I grow up!

The National Double Dutch League sponsors an annual Holiday Classic Competition at the Apollo, featuring an advanced fusion category which combines double dutch jump roping with dance! The product is seriously amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and I was excited to discover that there will be a double dutch exhibition, THIS SATURDAY, as part of the festival:
Tribeca Family FestivalSixth Annual Outdoor Street FairDDDD Double Dutch ExhibitionSaturday May 5th, 20071:00 PM - 4:00 PMESPN Stage at 1pm (performance)Main Stage: 3:30 pm performanceStreet Sets throughout the day New York City, NYFor more information: tribecafilmfestival.org