According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Arcade Fire at Radio City




Last night I saw Arcade Fire for the first time live at Radio City. At first I was disappointed to be up in the second mezzanine, namely because I've become somewhat of a snob when it comes to seeing shows up close, and also because I had read all over the internet that the two previous NYC shows this week, at United Palace, involved crowd participation on stage. That didn't happen at our show, however, due to tight assed security, and it turns out that there is really no bad seat in Radio City, so I enjoyed myself just fine. I didn't take these pictures though. I stole them from this person. I also missed the opening act, The National, because I was at UCB class.

The show was completely entertaining! Picture ten musicians atop a neon donned stage, running around, dancing wildly, frequently switching places and instruments, ooooooh-ing into a mega phone....it was fantastic! Although the RC crowd was not allowed onstage with the band, we participated well enough by singing the choral parts of the songs loudly and amazingly in sync and on key! Apparently there was a bit of a crowd control problem down on the main floor, but from where I was, everything seemed to be going brilliantly! I would re-think handing out glow in the dark drink stirrers to a bunch of crazy kids at a rock show again. You had to know those were gonna get tossed around.

The violinist with the short shorts and heels caught our eye, as well as the guy I dubbed "the spaz" who went back and forth between banging the shit out of a drum set on the floor at stage right, frantically shaking a tambourine like his life depended on it, tearing pages from what one would assume was a bible (Neon Bible is the title of their latest album), and at one point, we thought he might even be banging on a keyboard with a drumstick. I totally have a crush on that spaz guy now!

Overall, Arcade Fire put on a great, high-energy show, with an incredible unique sound which combines chorus like folksy vocals with a shit storm of instruments that blend to musical perfection.

Can't wait to see them again at Lollapalooza, though I'm sure the outdoor show will be another experience altogether!