According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Monday, September 18, 2006

MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC

Something a little different
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tonight I am going to Lincoln Center to experience the Wordless Music Series. Despite the "situation" Grutza and I had during Wilco at Lollapalooza this year, I decided to give a few of the band members another shot while they "demonstrate that the various boundaries and genre distinctions segregating music today-"popular" and "classical"; "uptown" and "downtown"; "high" art and "low"-are an artificial construction in need of dismantling." This show was my friend John's idea and I trust his judgment, so off I go tonight with open ears! I'll let you all know the dilly tomorrow! :)

UPDATE: MY REVIEW
I have to say that the Wordless Music concert last night was definitely interesting and different than any performance I have ever seen. Nels Cline (from Wilco) started off with a guitar and a bunch of other toys and electrical gadgets in a very abstract performance which had me wondering if it would have sounded ANY different if I, who knows nothing about how to use all that fancy equipment, had gone up there and started messing around with it, flipping switches, banging on the guitar with a metal stick, and shouting into a voice altering thingy. Im sure he's very talented when it comes to more structured melodic guitar playing, but I was confused about how much talent is required to mess around with equipment and make a bunch of unrelated sounds. Maybe I just didn't get it.

Elliott Sharp came out next, and its clear that this guy has talent. While his performance was also pretty abstract, he seemed to have some sort of a plan when he moved his fingers, which he did incredibly quickly, by the way and sparked my curiosity about whether guitar players are more prone to develop carpal tunnel than non-guitar players. I was pretty amazed at his rapid finger skills, so that was pretty cool.

Jenny Lin, the pianist was pretty good. I like the sound of piano music, and unless you're banging frantically, piano music is generally more structured and melodic anyway, so it was more pleasant to listen to than Nels's stuff.

Glenn Kotche, the percussionist, was probably my favorite. Despite being the best looking, the variety of instruments he used to bang around seemed less random than Nels's toys. Plus, at one point he stood up and opened a bunch of boxes on a table that contained crickets, who immediately started chirping loudly and on queue! Plus, I think I have a thing for drummers. Glenn stared seductively at the audience as he got all sweatty and banged his drums. It was pretty hot.


The last thing they did was perform all together as an ensemble and that was pretty cool. I guess when you're playing with other musicians you don't have the creative freedom to be so random and unstructured and that was refreshing. Overall I'd give the show a B. Better than doing nothing on a Monday night, for sure AND there was free wine! :)

20th Anniversary of Bridge School Benefit
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Next month marks the 20th anniversary of the Bridge School Benefit concert with a stellar line- up:
Neil Young
Pearl Jam
Dave Matthews Band
Brian Wilson
Foo Fighters
Trent Reznor
Death Cab for Cutie
Gillian Welch
Devendra Banhart
plus special guests!

The concerts take place at the Shoreline Amphitheater October 21 and 22 in Mountainview CA, and some of my friends are going. Will TALIA be there, you ask? Only time will tell! You remember how the Gorge shook down...might as well do what you love whenever you can, right?

Dat's all for now, friends. Keep listening :)