According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Saturday, January 03, 2009

MMJ at MSG on NYE!

As you already know, I spent my New Year's Eve at Madison Square Garden for the My Morning Jacket concert.

The band played for over 4 hours, pausing to count down the new year about half way through. The set list included several soulful covers includeing Move on Up, by Curtis Mayfield, You're All I Need (with Nicole Adkins), by Marvin Gaye, and Cold Sweat by James Brown.

I danced so hard up against the seats in the row in front of me, that my thighs are currently covered with bruises. It was a damn good show, but still does not hold a candle to the 4 plus hour rain-choreographed magic show that was Bonnaroo.

Upon leaving the venue, we stopped for drinks at a nearby bar, then headed to another party, when all of a sudden we found ourselves face to face with drummer Patrick Hallahan. I blocked the wind for him, while he lit a cigarette and my friends and I collectively congratulated him on a badass MSG show. We attempted to pass ourselves off as invitees of the after party, but upon initial denial, we decided to walk away without embarassment, and close the night elsewhere.

Such a good night! Here's a video from the night of one of my favorite MMJ songs, Run Thru


There are lots more vids on YouTube, so check em out!

You can stream and/ or dowload the bootlegs from the show HERE. I highly recommend checking it out.

Complete Setlist:
Disc 1/Set 1
1. intro music - What Are You Doing New Years Eve
2. Move On Up (Curtis Mayfield) *
3. Evil Urges *
4. Off The Record
5. Gideon
6. The Way That He Sings
7. Thank You Too
8. I'm Amazed
9. Golden ^
10. Librarian
11. You're All I Need (marvin gaye) * +
12. Express Yourself (charles wright) *
13. Wonderful Man
14. Lay Low
15. Phone Went West
16. Look At You

Disc 2/Set 1(cont):
17. Dondante
18. Smoking from Shootin->
19. Touch Me Part 2->
20. Run Thru
21. The Wanderer (Dion) *
22. Dancefloors *
23. Magheeta

Disc 3/Set 2:
1. new years' countdown
2. Celebration (kool & the gang) *
3. Get Down On It (kool & the gang) *
4. Wordless Chorus
5. Highly Suspicious
6. Cobra
7. Islands in the Stream (Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers) +
8. Bring It on Home to Me (Sam Cooke) *
9. Cold Sweat (James Brown)*
10. Anytime
11. One Big Holiday
12. Auld Lang Syne (sung by Jim James over a prerecorded backing track)
13. outro music - We'll Meet Again

Labels: , ,