According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Lollapalooza 2007 In a Nutshell

Now that I have a new job, I don't have as much time to fiddle around on the interweb, but fear not, I'll still post...just as part of my leisure time (obscure Flight of the Conchords reference).

As a result, here's the quickie version of my weekend at Lollapalooza (If I have time, I'll add photos later)

Thursday: We arrived into Chicago early, by mid afternoon, with plenty of time to check into the hotel, change, eat, and head to the Vic Theater to get our wrist bands for the special Pearl Jam warm up show. By the time we got there (4:30 pm) the line was around the block, and the people in the front had been there since morning. Just as security came around to check IDs and give out wristbands, I realized that my ID was not in my wallet! I had taken it out to get through airport security, and I never put it back in my wallet! Thankfully, the tickets were in my friend's name, and am obviously over 18, so I got my wrist band alright- phew! I did, however run back to the hotel to get it, just in case I wanted to celebrate after the show with a cocktail or two. We got back by 6, but still didn't want to wait in the ridiculous line, so we bought a big box of Popsicles and passed them out to thirsty, tired fans in line. When doors opened after 7, I was able to secure a place on the floor, about 8 people away from the stage near the middle toward Stone's side.

Pearl Jam put on, what I believe may be the best show I have seen so far (I know, I say that all the time). But they certainly played for a fan club only audience by playing mostly rarities and b sides. See for yourself:
Setlist August 2, 2007
Set 1 All Or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, Gods' Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go
Encore 1 No More, Inside Job, Low Light, Love Reign O'er Me
Encore 2 Comatose, Black Diamond, Sonic Reducer
Encore 3 Indifference (with Ben Harper)

Friday: Day 1 of Lollapalooza I saw the following bands:
1. Fratellis- Great show, but we missed the song from the Ipod commercial.
2. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists- another good show. Ted fell on stage, cutting his hand and breaking his guitar strap. I didn't see it happen, but he showed us the blood. His socks were blue.
3. Polyphonic Spree- an enjoyable performance both audibly and visually. After a costume change, they put on their trademark robes, ran through the crowd, then did a killer cover of Nirvana's Lithium to my complete glee! This was the first highlight of Lollapalooza for me!
4. Against Me- pretty good, although I'd not heard of them before Lolla. I mostly just sat in the shade and bobbed my head.
5. Silversun Pickups- I finally got to see this band which I have come to really really like! Lazy Eye, my former ring tone, was played well (although I got the feeling I'd prefer to hear the band play in a small club rather than outside). Toward the end of the set, the lead singer acknowledged a female fan singing all the words up front, and told us all that her passion was distracting him (in a good way)!! *sigh* See ladies, the effort is worth it!!
6. LCD Soundsystem- Brooklyn in Da House! This group set the electronica tone for the rest of the night, with their very appropriate jam "Daft Punk is Playing at My House".
7. Daft Punk- Before the space suit clad duo went on, I was feeling very tired and had suggested leaving early, however once they got the beats goin, I found myself jumping and fist pumping, shouting "Around the world, around the world" and "One more time!" Aahhhh, Acapulco memories!!

Saturday: Day 2 of Lollapalooza:
I met a relative who lives in Chicago for brunch, so i didn't get to the park till after 2, but when I did, I went straight to the kids stage because rumors were flying that the "very special guest" on the schedule was going to be none other than Eddie Vedder. It wasn't BUT, I did get to see an acoustic set by Jim James of My Morning Jacket, which included the Chipmunks Christmas song, and that song about Rainbows that Kermit the Frog sings. It was cute, so I stayed there, sitting on the ground in front of the stage with the 3, 4, and 5 year olds who had their hair painted blue, pink and orange. Next up was Patti Smith, on the kids stage with a toned down version of "The People Have the Power". Cool to see her up that close. I'm glad I stuck around. Onto the big kids stages for
1. The Roots- Fun set, lots of covers.
2. The Hold Steady- I was busy talking during this set, but what I heard was good. My friend who was actually paying attention said they were great. I trust her opinion.
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs- So much fun live. Karen O made ripped fishnets look hot!
4. Spoon- as I suggested last winter, Spoon is way better at an outdoor venue (even in the pouring rain) than they were at Webster Hall. Good thing I listened from the myspace tent and stayed relatively dry till the storm blew over.
5. Muse- This band rocked harder than I ever imagined. If I didn't owe the best performance nod (by lifetime loyalty standards) to Pearl Jam, I'd give it to Muse! Seriously, I need to go out and buy all their albums now! Phenomenal!

Sunday: Day 3 of Lollapalooza:
1. Amy Winehouse- I love me some Amy, but by Sunday I was dehydrated, and exhausted. I nearly passed out during her set, under the unforgiving heat! We had to retreat halfway through to get more water. In my bleary state, I could tell she sounded good, but I was a bit out of it. I'm sorry Amy.
2. Paolo Nutini- This kid (he looks about 13) got so into his vocals, it was cute. I enjoyed the set, but really only remember the song, "Jenny". I remember thinking, "I could totally listen to this album." He's got a soulful voice for a kid!
3. Kings of Leon- Such hotties! I never realized how cute these guys were before! Eddie Vedder came out and sand with them for a song- the name of it escapes me at the moment. I enjoyed it.
4. My Morning Jacket- Teaming up with the Chicago Youth Orchestra, MMJ outdid themselves. I actually couldn't hear the orchestra all that loudly, but whatever they were doing it was just right! "One Big Holiday" at the end of the set rocked my world. I love that song!
5. Pearl Jam- My favorite band closed the weekend with a greatest hits-esque setlist that included Alive, Do the Evolution, and Elderly Woman... Eddie graced us with a song about boycotting BP and Amoco for dumping in Lake Michigan, and added a few rants about Bush. The set closed with an emphatic Rockin in the Free World, with Dennis Rodman (wtf?) on stage alongside a ton of other lucky bastards that no one knew! Pearl Jam did Lollapalooza proud, as fans new and old came together in Eddie's home state.

What a great end to a beautiful, musical weekend!