According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, March 16, 2007

Well that's a novel idea...

Don't like the laws of our country? Well, move! Don't like International law? Then...uh...buy your own island and make up a country?

The owners of The Pirate Bay, an internationally popular Swedish file-sharing website have decided that they will simply buy an island located in neutral international waters from which to operate their copyright infringing site. That way, they reason, international law designed to protect copyright and intellectual property rights will simply not apply! Hmmm....

Somehow I don't think they'll get away with this scam, but nonetheless, they have begun raising money to fund their purchase, and have focused their sights, specifically, on the principality of Sealand, a former WWII battle station located in international waters off the coast of England. Apparently the current owner of Sealand, which was declared its own independent country in 1967, isn't too keen on the web owners' intent to circumvent the law, and has stated he won't sell to them. Reports indicate, however, that they've got a few islands in mind, in case the Sealand deal doesn't pan out. Uh, good luck with that.

Read more about The Pirate Bay here.

I've got to give them credit for being creative in coming up with a solution to their copyright issues......and by creative I mean completely off their rockers. I wasn't even aware that one could do such a thing as establishing their very own COUNTRY with as little as $50,000- $10 million!

Why stop at no copyrights? Why not declare pants illegal, and make it a felony to eat anything but chocolate cake on Sundays? Hey, I kinda like this game....let me think of a few more laws for the country I'm going to make with my first million:
1. The National color is purple. If you don't wear purple, I, as president/Queen am justified in punching you and thereby giving you something purple to wear.

2. Walking slowly on any public sidewalk on any weekday between the hours of 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM is illegal. Violators will be pushed to the side and forced to stay there until I say so. If you are disabled, I am very sorry for you, but there are plenty of rural places for you to walk or scoot or whatever during these hours. I have no tolerance for moseying no matter what your excuse! If you have no place to be at noon on a Tuesday then I am very happy for you, but I have responsibilities, and your slow movement bothers me.

3. Golden Retrievers are sacred. Worship them and treat them as your superiors. They are smarter than you, but not me.

4. All radio stations must play 3 pearl jam songs every hour. Country music is banned. Don't even try it.

5. Fat is skinny and skinny is fat. We now make fun of tall beautiful thin women. Clearly they are not abiding by the Chocolate Cake law. Chubby girls are given all the best movie roles.

What kind of laws would you enact?