According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, March 23, 2007

LUCK Reigns Over Me


Last week the 10C (Pearl Jam fan club) offered free passes to see a screening the new movie Reign Over Me, starring Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle, to the first 50 people to respond in a few select cities across the U.S. (this makes sense, at least somewhat, because Pearl Jam covered The Who's Love Reign Over Me, for the movie soundtrack, which played during the CLOSING credits.) Of course, NYC was one of those cities, and of course, I entered the contest. Luckily I was selected, and was told to show up at the AMC Theater at Lincoln Square last night for the 7:00 show. I was advised to show up early because seating would be limited and there were no guarantees. Well, coming all the way from Bay Ridge, I peaced out around 5:30, hopped on the train, and went with hope, uptown to meet Jed for the movie (he was my plus one, duh).

So I get there around 6:30, just minutes before Jed, and find a line of hopefuls wrapped around the movie theater. I didn't think I had much of a chance on getting in, but I took my place at the back of the line and waited. The line crept slowly- they were letting people enter in small groups, and just as we were approacing the front, a girl with a clipboard and walkie talkie shouted to the remaining line that the theater was nearly full and only a few more people would be allowed in. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 people in front of us got to go in. "Whelp, thats it! I'm sorry", said clip board girl to ME. "If you write down your name and contact info, we'll send you passes for some screening in the future."
"That's cool", I thought, "no biggie, and at least I can go to the gym tonight instead of ingesting an artery clogging bag of popcorn." I wrote down my name and address on a piece of paper, and was about to hand it to clip board girl, when two ladies walked out of the theater door, with tickets in hand, stating that they had changed their minds about seeing the movie! WTF?! Who does that? Oh well....1, 2 more were let in, and Jed and I were in there like swimwear!

Does anyone still doubt my crazy luck?? Pssshaw!
Now for my review of Reign Over Me, which was released in select theaters yesterday:

The idea behind the story was a solid one: Charlie (Adam Sandler) loses his wife and 3 daughters in the 9-11 attacks on the World Trade Center, and subsequently loses his mind a bit. He claims he can't remember anything about his life before that day, and goes on to live a recusive minimalist lifestyle in New York City.
Enter Alan (Don Cheadle), who was Charlie's college roomate, and hasn't seen him since the accident. They run into each other on the street, and the two try to re-kindle a new spin on their old friendship- Alan looking for an escape from an over bearing wife, and Charlie, just looking for a friend who won't ask about the accident.
The plot wasn't as finely tuned as I would have preferred and the character development, aside from Sandler's Charlie, left much to be desired. However, I felt that the basis for the plotline was solid and Adam Sandler's superior acting carried the film into my good graces. Many will say Adam was playing the same old screaming retarded guy role, but I beg to differ. This role was made for him, because he was able to very accurately evoke the emotions of a man who had his heart obliterated, and was trying to find a way in which to live his life with minimal pain. The scene where Charlie breaks down and finally acknowledges his loss is phenomenal, and if it doesn't bring tears to your eyes, you should check your pulse!
The movie is littered with a bit of toilet humor and some gay jokes, but its all lighthearted and non-offensive, at least according to my standards (and if you didn't care about my standards you wouldn't be reading According to Talia anyway, fool!). The soundtrack (other than Pearl Jam) was really great, featuring the original Who version of Love Reign Over Me, and Bruce Springsteen's The River. There were also a few good songs that I didn't recognize. Also in the film are Liv Tyler, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Donald Sutherland.
Overall I thought it was a good movie. Since Im a cheap-ass, I probably wouldn't pay to see it in the theater, but last night it was FREE, and we've already established that I like FREE STUFF. I would recommend catching it on DVD, On Demand, or whatever you crazy kids do these days to see movies.
Have a good weekend :)