According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Friday, November 21, 2008

A Change I Can Already See























A few weeks ago, before the election, a very close friend of mine, who holds very conservative values, asked me why I planned to vote for Barack Obama. Because I respected his question, and I knew that he honestly wanted to know what made people favor Obama over McCain, I took the inquiry very seriously and I composed a very heart-felt list of reasons, including specific Obama policies that I feel are going to help me more than McCain's alternatives, as well as a general description of the positive emotional and inspirational effects on our country I feel Obama does and would continue to have as President. Though my friend staunchly disagreed with me, he was able to understand that I was voting based on a sincere belief, as opposed to voting superficially for the popular "black guy".

Anyway, I still believe that President-elect Obama has the capacity to turn negative into positive in an almost magical way, and I have recently witnessed that change first hand. The other day I was walking to the subway in my neighborhood, when I stopped at a crosswalk to allow traffic to pass. Standing with me on the street corner, were two young black men: one around high school age, and one who appeared to be in his mid to late 20s.

I was standing just a few inches away from the two men as we waited for our turn to cross the street, so I could hear their conversation very clearly. The younger man was explaining to the other how a person becomes a member of the "Crips" gang. He said that if you have a family member in the "Crips" you are automatically invited to join the gang, but if not, you have to get beat in- meaning you have to allow existing gang members to beat you up before you can, yourself, be considered for membership. He then explained that potential female gang members had to submit to a gang-rape before they could join.

Disgusted, and a little unnerved, I kept my eyes on the ground and silently prayed that neither of these men would ever hurt or kill another person in the name of gang violence. Almost immediately, however, the older man spoke up and surprised me. "Man, fuck that shit! Stay in school! Be somebody! Don't get messed up in all that! BE SOMEBODY!"

Shocked, relieved, and proud of my neighbors, I decided to look up at the two men that were standing next to me. The older one, who had just advised his younger friend/relative against gang violence, and in turn, encouraged him to do good with his life, was wearing an Obama '08 pin on his jacket!

The younger man, who was just seconds ago proudly reciting the handbook of the Crips, immediately replied "No, I would never get into gangs, I'm just saying...thats what I heard". I was so touched at that moment, and I honestly believed that these young men were somehow influenced in a positive way by the success and hope that Barack Obama represents, not only for young black men, but for our entire country! Gang affiliation is NOT the only way black men can earn respect in our country! It never was, and I know that, but unfortunately not every one always has. But now we know. We all know what is possible. It changes everything.

This, my fellow Americans, most certainly IS a change I can believe in!

UPDATE:
A friend has brought something interesting to my attention. He read this post and said that his initial reaction was that I was the one that had changed, not the guys on the street. He said it was unfair for me to credit the Obama '08 pin on the man's jacket, or the recent election for the men's disapproval of gangs. You know what, he's right! Why should I assume that if John McCain had won, that these guys would be gang bangers? Well, I don't assume that, but I had just been so eager to find evidence of Barack Obama changing the world that I painted the picture that I wanted to see, and I will admit that makes my reaction a bit ignorant. It is entirely possible, and very likely, that those two men I encountered on the street were just good people, with good values, and it was inappropriate for me to imply otherwise subconsciously. That was not my intention. Take the story above as you will, but know that I meant it to be a very positive observation.

Labels: