According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Overkill

It was just a few weeks ago, as I was reading tabloids, that I inquired, to no one in particular, about the status, or seeming lack thereof, of Gavin Rossdale's music career. Almost immediately thereafter I heard his new single "Love Remains the Same" first on Spinner.com, then in both a commercial for The Biggest Loser and a trailer for the new Richard Gere and Diane Lane movie, Nights in Rodanthe.

I do understand that with the status of the music industry being what it is, artists, new and old alike, must seek out innovative ways to not only get their music heard, but to make money in the industry. I love movie soundtracks, and getting your song on the soundtrack of a movie, especially a good one, is a brilliant move, at least in my opinion. I'm slightly more skeptical about licensing music to endorse products, ONLY because I feel like the songs are often not properly paired with products, and are used out of context, calling into question the integrity of the music and/ or the product. For instance: The use of "Nth Degree" by Morningwood in a popular car commercial is a prime example. That's just silly! Who gave the OK on that one? Did this car company not think we savvy music fans would recognize the song, and then associate their product with an erection (please do no ask me to further elaborate on the meaning of "morning wood").

Ok, Rossdale. From what I gather, your song fits well in the trailer for a love story. Kudos. I'm glad you're back on the scene. BUT, what does your song about love have to do with fat people? Do you want me to think about donuts, or worse- exercise that borders on torture every time I hear your song? Its not a car commercial about boners, but its slightly ill advised.

Just my two-cents :)

Labels: , , , , ,