According to Talia

What you need to know, straight from the source: Ms. Talia Page

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Magical Morning Show

If you’ve met me at least once, or if you’ve even caught a whiff of my presence on the internet, you have been made aware of the fact that I am obsessed with music. Not only am I obsessed with music, but I emote to a ridiculous degree when I listen to it. On a daily basis, the sounds that are constantly pumped into my ears cause me to moan, shriek, shout, sing, fist-pump, sway, and generally behave like a mental patient. It’s what I do: my thing.

Anyway, by the grace of God about a year ago, I stumbled upon the kexp morning show, hosted by John Richards. I am not otherwise a morning person. Each day as I set out to a less-than-desirable job in less-than-comfortable business casual attire, my head is filled with evil and malicious thoughts and feelings toward fellow New York City commuters on the subway, resentment toward my failed career aspirations, and a general sense of woe-is-me-ness. Al most nothing can snap me out of this brow-furrowing funk- ALMOST! The kexp morning show has accomplished the most impossible of missions, however. A magical man named John Richards (and occasionally Troy Nelson) has not only managed to make my mornings tolerable, but has given me a reason to (gasp) look forward to the earliest part of my day!

John’s morning show consists of a brilliant mix of independent music, new and old, as well as choice tracks from main stream musical acts spanning multiple musical eras. That bland description, however, does not do justice to the ingeniously crafted combination of music that this man puts together every morning, which, collectively, have had the effect of making me weep on more than one occasion. When John played Otis Redding’s “Ive Been Loving You too Long”, per my e-mailed request, my chest tightened and my throat went into spasm. Just last week I was compelled to send emails to my closest friends begging for their emotional support when I heard Pearl Jam’s “Black”, Dolly Parton’s “In the Ghetto”, and Iron and Wine in the same set.

Co-workers have seen me thrust my rolling desk chair back into the wall, throw my arms up in the air emphatically and bury my face in my hands on multiple occasions from the hours of 9am-12pm. This show is no joke. This radio show possesses the magical power to simultaneously weaken, yet empower me. Although I drink a huge cup of coffee and shit-ton of water when I get to work every morning, I rarely use the bathroom, for fear that I’ll miss one of the gems that John has plucked from the recesses of his collection, and offered up buffed and gleaming for me to adore.

“My God, YES! ‘Touch Me Pt. 2’, by My Morning Jacket was EXACTLY what I needed to hear right now- today in this moment! How did you know?!?!”

“Sweet mother of mercy, I did not realize how deeply and profoundly ‘Playground Love’ by Air would affect me on this Wednesday morning!”

Dear John Richards: I hope you do not think me creepy for loving your show so deeply. Please continue to make my mornings bright, when the rest of the world seems intent upon casting shadows over me.

Dear World: If you have not already, I implore you to visit kexp.org and listen to 91.5 in New York or 90.3 in Seattle. Please also make donations because this station is powered by listener contributions. If this station- this morning- show were to cease to exist, I am certain that a tiny piece of me would also. Good day, Talia

Labels: , ,